Home >> Advanced teacher training in India
International Sivananda Advanced Teachers’ Training Course (ATTC) in our Sivananda Kutir on the banks of the Ganga in Uttarkashi, Himalayas, India
4 March – 2 April 2017
Dates include arrival and departure days
Languages: English, French, Spanish, German
Dormitory: 2,350 €
Double Room: 2,690 €
All rates valid until 31 December 2016
- Four-week theoretical and practical training in all aspects of yoga consisting of 437 training units of 45 minutes’ duration
- Internationally recognised certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled "Yoga Acharya" and recognised by the Yoga Alliance for the 500 hours Registered Yoga School Standards
- This course was established in the early 1970s by Swami Vishnudevananda as the first advanced yoga teachers’ training course taught to Western students and now has over 4,700 graduates.
Asanas, Pranayama, Vedanta, Raja Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Sanskrit, anatomy and physiology, Kirtan and nutrition.
Details of curriculum >>
Daily: two meditation sessions, one pranayama class, two yoga classes, two lectures, one hour of service to the ashram community. Students are given one lecture-free day a week. Attendance of the entire ATTC daily schedule is mandatory.
are Yoga Acharyas (spiritual teachers) and senior teachers personally trained by Swami Vishnudevananda.
- Meditation and Mantras by Swami Vishnudevananda, Motilal Banarsidass Publishers
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda, Three Rivers Press
Please note: These books are not included in the course fee. You cannot find these books locally in India. They can be purchased at the Sivananda Yoga Centres or via the online shop.
Please also bring
Yoga teacher's manual and uniforms
Registration is valid with a down payment of 30% of the total amount. The remaining unpaid balance is due no later than 6 weeks before the course begins.
Included are the examination fee, administrative costs, teaching, room and board and a teacher's manual.
Not included are ground transportation to and from Delhi, tips, laundry service as well as any other additional service. Please book your own flight to Delhi.
It is recommended to purchase a travel cancellation insurance policy through your travel agency.
Certificate and training units
International certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organization (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled 'Yoga Acharya'.
The International Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses consist of three levels:
|Teachers’ Training Course (TTC)||401 units of 45 min or 301 units of 60 min|
|Advanced Teachers’ Training Course (ATTC)||437 units of 45 min or 328 units of 60 min|
|Sadhana Intensive||173 units of 45 min or 130 units of 60 min|
The Yoga Alliance recognises the TTC for the 200 hours Registered Yoga School Standards and the TTC plus ATTC for the 500 hours Registered Yoga School Standards.
The course will be taught in English with simultaneous translation into German, French and Spanish using a translation system and headphones (bring your own).
Sivananda Kutir is located near the village of Netala, 8 km north of Uttarkashi.
Uttarkashi is well known for its community of sadhus and swamis who live in various Ashrams along the Ganga, about half way between Rishikesh and Gangotri, one of the four sources of the Ganga.
Swami Vishnudevananda himself completed his own intense Hatha Yoga Sadhana in this area, before being sent to the West by Swami Sivananda.
When Swami Vishnudevananda left his body in South India in 1993, his body was brought to Sivananda Kutir in Uttarkashi and was immersed into the Ganga from a rock just in front of the Ashram. Swamiji’s Jalasamadhi Rock is a quiet place of meditation and inspiration for your Sadhana.
The ATTC practices and study will be benefited by the vibrations of the Ashram which was founded by Swami Vishnudevananda for secluded sadhana amidst the inspiring beauty of Ganga and Himalayas. At the recently renovated Siva temple in the Ashram daily pujas are conducted by a local priest.
(near Siror Bridge)
P.O. Netala, Uttarkashi Dist,
Uttarakhand, Himalayas, 249 193,
Mobile: + 91.854.788.1801
The Sivananda Yoga Centres suggest you travel from Delhi to Uttarkashi by Yogibus:
Chartered 27 seater AC coach
Suggested arrival time in Delhi, February 25 latest at 3:00 AM. A Yogibus escort will be available at the Delhi International Airport Terminal 3 arrivals area in front of the Costa Coffee as of 4:00 AM. The Yogibus departs at 5:00 AM.
If you are arriving before February 25 in Delhi, the meeting point is at 4:00 AM at the Hotel Shanti Palace (near the airport).
One-way charge: 6000 INR (or 85€), including breakfast in the bus and a full lunch stop half way. Mineral water is included on the AC coach.
The Yogibus will arrive in time for dinner at Uttarkashi.
Depending on your arrival time in New Delhi, it may be necessary to spend a night in a hotel. You can book a room by e-mail. For more information on the hotels >>
The yogi bus departs March 26 at 6:00 AM from Uttarkashi, arrives at Delhi International Airport at approx. 10:00 PM
Enrolment for Uttarkashi–Delhi will take place in Uttarkashi itself.
From Delhi to Haridvar, plus 5 hours' taxi drive.
From Delhi to Dehradun, plus 5 hours' taxi drive.
Visa requirements (Important!)
For the Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course (TTC), only the following types of visa are accepted by the local authorities in India:
- Student visa (STD or S Visa)
- Yoga visa (Y Visa)
- Entry visa (X Visa)
Visa applications should be submitted only after one's place has been confirmed for the course.
- Under no circumstances will anybody arriving with a tourist visa be able to participate in the course.
- The average validity for visas given by the Indian Embassies for this course is 3 months. Please be aware that visa validity starts with the date of issue.
- The required proof of enrolment will be sent to you once your enrolment and downpayment have been received.
- Please do not accept a visa which is valid for longer than 6 months as it requires one to undergo a complicated registration process once in India.
- Once issued, check that your visa does not contain the following condition: “Registration required within 14 days after arrival in India”. If it does, do not accept the visa from the Indian Embassy.
A scanned copy of your Indian visa needs to be sent by email to rudraprayag-himalayas(at)sivananda.net
Yoga mat, meditation pillow and shawl (also available at the Sivananda Boutique in Uttarkashi), sandals, sweat pants and sweat shirts, writing pad, torch, alarm clock, private toiletry items, soap, clothesline, money belt.
It is advisable to keep a copy of your visa, passport and plane ticket separately in your luggage.
Comfortable clothing adapted to the traditional lifestyle of India is required: No figure-hugging clothes, no halter tops, shorts or short skirts.
Please pack a scarf and cap, warm socks and sweaters. Also sunscreen and sun hat.
Please ask your pharmacy for a small kit of medicines appropriate for India. Please consult with your physician or tropical medical service about vaccinations.
Conditions for participation
- Sivananda Yoga Teachers' Training Course
- Participation in the course requires constant adaptation to local customs, as well as inner openness and sincere acceptance of the instructions given by the teachers. After enrolling, please meet or telephone with Swami Vidyananda (see her contact details below). This is to gain a better understanding of the spiritual nature of the course and to answer any further questions you may have. This personal course introduction is essential for enrolment.
Cancellation and withdrawal policy
Cancellation before the start of the course: the following cancellation fees will apply:
- More than 21 days before arrival date: 10% of the course fee
- Within 21 days of arrival date: 30% of the course fee
If you would like to change to another Teachers' Training Course organized by the Sivananda Yoga Retreat House, a rebooking fee of 50 euros will be charged.
In case of early departure from the ATTC, the following cancellation fees will apply:
- Departure within the first 3 days: 500 euro cancellation fee
- Departure after 3 days: no refund possible
In case of early departure from the course, the ATTC course manual must be returned before leaving the teaching location.
Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Retreat House
Bichlach 40, A-6370 Reith bei Kitzbühel, Tyrol, Austria
Contact: Swami Vidyananda, Coordinator of TTC North India
Phone: +44 20 3289 1432, +43 5356 67 404-29
(preferably Mon–Sun, 11 AM–4 PM Central European Time)
Booking and payment need to be made at the same centre.