Home >> Advanced teacher training in India
International Sivananda Advanced Teachers’ Training Course (ATTC) in Rudraprayag, Himalayas, India
28 February – 29 March 2015
Dates include arrival and departure days
- Four-week theoretical and practical training in all aspects of yoga consisting of 437 training units of 45 minutes’ duration
- Internationally recognised certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled "Yoga Acharya" and recognised by the Yoga Alliance for the 500 hours Registered Yoga School Standards
- This course was established in the early 1970s by Swami Vishnudevananda as the first advanced yoga teachers’ training course taught to Western students and now has over 3,800 graduates.
Asanas, Pranayama, Vedanta, Raja Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Sanskrit, anatomy and physiology, Kirtan and nutrition.
Details of curriculum >>
Daily: two meditation sessions, one pranayama class, two yoga classes, two lectures, one hour of service to the ashram community. Students are given one lecture-free day a week. Attendance of the entire ATTC daily schedule is mandatory.
are Yoga Acharyas (spiritual teachers) and senior teachers personally trained by Swami Vishnudevananda.
Is a Yoga Acharya and director of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres in Europe. A senior disciple of Swami Vishnudevananda, Swami Durgananda accompanied her teacher on many tours throughout India. She has been building up the European centres for over 30 years under the guidance of her teacher. munich(at)sivananda.net
is a Yoga Acharya, director of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres in Europe, Acharya for South America and a long-time disciple of Swami Vishnudevananda. He is known for his inspiring and relaxed teaching methods in asanas and pranayama. tyrol(at)sivananda.net
Is a Yoga Acharya and director of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres in England and France and the Pacific Rim. She is a scholar of Sanskrit and a long-time disciple of Swami Vishnudevananda. orleans(at)sivananda.net
Several other swamis, senior teachers and translators will be participating in the course.
Bhagavatacharya Sri Venugopal Goswami, Vrindavan, North India
- The Divine Essence of Man – readings and discourses on selected verses from the yogic scriptures
- Nada Yoga Concert – the vocal art of kirtan (mantra chanting)
All programmes accompanied by classical Indian musicians (bansuri, shanai, harmonium, vocals, various percussions)
- Meditation and Mantras by Swami Vishnudevananda, Motilal Banarsidass Publishers
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda, Three Rivers Press
Please note: These books are not included in the course fee. You cannot find these books locally in India. They can be purchased at the Sivananda Yoga Centres or via the online shop.
Please also bring
Yoga teacher's manual and uniforms
Triple Room: 2,390 €
Double Room: 2,940 €
Single Room: 3,690 €
Special price for the triple room for Eastern European nationals residing in an Eastern European country: 2,190 €
All rates valid until 31 December 2014
Down payment: 500 €, the outstanding balance is due at the Centre where you enrolled 6 weeks prior to the beginning of the course.
Included are the examination fee, administrative costs, teaching, room and board and a teacher's manual.
Not included are ground transportation to and from Delhi, tips, laundry service as well as any other additional service. Please book your own flight to Delhi.
It is recommended to purchase a travel health insurance policy through your travel agency.
Certificate and training units
International certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organization (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled 'Yoga Acharya'.
The International Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses consist of three levels:
|Teachers’ Training Course (TTC)||401 units of 45 min or 301 units of 60 min|
|Advanced Teachers’ Training Course (ATTC)||437 units of 45 min or 328 units of 60 min|
|Sadhana Intensive||173 units of 45 min or 130 units of 60 min|
The Yoga Alliance recognises the TTC for the 200 hours Registered Yoga School Standards and the TTC plus ATTC for the 500 hours Registered Yoga School Standards.
The course will be taught in English with simultaneous translation into German, French and Spanish using a modern wireless translation system and headphones (available in the yoga boutique or bring your own).
Monal Resort is located 3 km from Rudraprayag, on 3 acres (1.2 hectares) of pristine land, surrounded on three sides by the lesser Himalayan Range. The resort has 53 rooms, each of which has its own private balcony, most of them with a view of the majestic Garhwal Himalayas.
Spacious rooms (1–3 beds), private bathroom, electric or AC heater, water kettle, white linen bed sheets, quilt with quilt cover or two blankets, one pillow, bed cover.
Drinking water and teas
Teas will be available on a self-service basis between the activities. Mineral water is available at extra cost.
Meals and snacks
Daily two lightly spiced Indian/Western style yogic vegetarian meals and one snack will be served buffet-style.
Meditations, lectures and some asana classes will be held on a spacious roof terrace (covered) overlooking the Alaknanda river. Four scenic open air asana platforms are also available.
Breathing the fresh Himalayan air is a boon for health throughout your stay. The old pilgrims' footpath to the high Himalayan shrine of Kedarnath passes right below Monal Resort. It leads to a large Ghat (bathing steps) by the Alaknanda River, ideal for pranayama and meditation, at just a few minutes walking distance. On the way you come by a small Siva Lingam Shrine where you can get blessings from a local pundit. The same footpath takes you through an impressive landscape of rocks and cacti, crossing the river over a small hanging bridge, to the Rudranath Temple (2 km distance) right above the river confluence. According to mythology it is here that Lord Rudra (Siva) taught music to the sage Narada. All worship in this temple is done by female priests.
Telephone and mobile phone
Every room has a telephone and can be reached via the reception at these numbers:
+91 (0) 1364 233-901 to -905 (5 lines)
Mobile phone coverage for Airtel, Idea and Vodafone. Sim cards available at Delhi International Airport, requires copy of passport/visa and 1 photo.
Most foreign SIM cards do allow Internet roaming access.
Yoga accessories: yoga mats, meditation pillows, asana outfits, shawls for meditation, yoga books, mantra CDs, translation headphones and more.
Outside laundry service at extra charge; collection and return of laundry every evening.
Valuables can be put into a safe, which will be opened once a day.
Check in/Check out
Check in at 2:00 PM
Check out at 10:00 AM
Once a week is a lecture-free day. Possible excursions:
Rudraprayag town (3 km)
Rudranath Temple (2 km)
Right above the river confluence. According to mythology it is here that Lord Rudra (Siva) taught music to the sage Narada. All worship in this temple is done by female priests.
Koteshwar Temple (3 km)
At a distance of 3 km from Rudraprayag and on the holy bank of the River Alaknanda is situated the Koteshwar temple in a cave. There are many idols, which have been formed naturally. It is believed that before going to Kedarnath, Lord Siva meditated here. During the months of August and September, thousands of devotees come here to worship Lord Siva.
Agastyamuni (23 km)
About 23 km from Rudraprayag, in the glorious valley of Mandakini, lies the popular town of Agastyamuni – a miniature paradise. Here, on the banks of the murmuring deep blue Mandakini sat the great sage Agastyamuni in deep meditation. The Agastya temple honours the great sage and is an ideal place to relax on the banks of the river.
Kartik Swami (38 km)
The Kartik Swami temple is dedicated to Kartikeya – son of Siva. It can be reached by a 3 km trek from Kanak Chauri village, which is located on the Rudraprayag–Pokhri route. You can have magnificent views of the snow-clad Himalayan range from the Kartik Swami temple.
Rudraprayag is an ancient pilgrimage town (20,000 inhabitants) at the point of confluence of the Alaknanda and Mandakini, which are both tributaries to the River Ganges. Altitude of 890 m, 370 km away from Delhi. The area carries the spiritual thought currents of generations of spiritual seekers and pilgrims who walked and prayed in these pristine natural surroundings.
Main Badrinath Road,
246 475 Rudraprayag
Phone: +91 (0) 1364 233901 to 905 (5 Lines)
Telefax: +91 (0) 1364 233160
Helpline No.: +91-9837240675, +91-9675198764
The Sivananda Yoga Centres suggest you travel from Delhi to Rudraprayag by Yogibus:
Chartered 27 seater AC coach
Suggested arrival time in Delhi, February 28 latest at 3:00 AM. A Yogibus escort will be available at the Delhi International Airport Terminal 3 arrivals area in front of the Food Street Lounge as of 4:00 AM. The Yogibus departs at 5:00 AM.
If you are arriving before February 28 in Delhi, the meeting point is at 4:00 AM at the Hotel Shanti Palace (near the airport).
One-way charge: 5500 INR (or 70€), including breakfast in the bus and a full lunch stop half way. Mineral water is included on the AC coach.
The Yogibus will arrive in time for dinner at Monal Resorts Hotel in Rudraprayag.
Departs March 29 at 6:00 AM from Monal Resorts Hotel in Rudraprayag, arrives at Delhi International Airport at approx. 10:00 PM
Enrolment for Rudraprayag–Delhi will take place in Rudraprayag itself.
From Delhi to Haridvar, plus 5 hours' taxi drive.
From Delhi to Dehradun, plus 5 hours' taxi drive.
Visa requirements (Important!)
For the Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course (TTC), only the following types of visa are accepted by the local authorities in India:
- Student visa (STD or S Visa)
- Yoga visa (Y Visa)
- Entry visa (X Visa)
Visa applications should be submitted only after one's place has been confirmed for the course.
- Under no circumstances will anybody arriving with a tourist visa be able to participate in the course.
- The average validity for visas given by the Indian Embassies for this course is 3 months. Please be aware that visa validity starts with the date of issue.
- The required proof of enrolment will be sent to you once your enrolment and downpayment have been received.
- Please do not accept a visa which is valid for longer than 6 months as it requires one to undergo a complicated registration process once in India.
- Once issued, check that your visa does not contain the following condition: “Registration required within 14 days after arrival in India”. If it does, do not accept the visa from the Indian Embassy.
A scanned copy of your Indian visa needs to be sent by email to rudraprayag-himalayas(at)sivananda.net
Yoga mat, meditation pillow and shawl (also available at the Sivananda Boutique in Rudraprayag), sandals, sweat pants and sweat shirts, writing pad, torch, alarm clock, private toiletry items, soap, clothesline, money belt.
It is advisable to keep a copy of your visa, passport and plane ticket separately in your luggage.
Comfortable clothing adapted to the traditional lifestyle of India is required: No figure-hugging clothes, no halter tops, shorts or short skirts.
Please pack a scarf and cap, warm socks and sweaters. Also sunscreen and sun hat.
Please ask your pharmacy for a small kit of medicines appropriate for India. Please consult with your physician or tropical medical service about vaccinations.
Conditions for participation
- Sivananda Yoga Teachers' Training Course
- Participation in the Teachers’ Training Course requires constant adaptation to local customs, as well as inner openness and sincere acceptance of the instructions given by the teachers. Before enrolling, please meet or telephone with any of the European Acharyas or Swamis. This is to gain a better understanding of the spiritual nature of the course and to answer any further questions you may have. This personal course introduction by a Swami is essential for enrolment.
- Cancellation before the start of the course: A credit note will be issued for the course payments received. A 50 € administration fee will be deducted.
- In case of early departure: A credit note for the full amount of the course will be issued minus the following: the days present in the course, the hotel room rate for the remaining days, and a 50 € administration fee.
The ATTC course manual must be returned upon leaving the teaching location. Only then will the credit note be authorized.
- The credit note will only be issued four weeks after the course completion date and will not be issued at the course location.
- Credit notes are non-transferable and can only be used by the individual whose name appears on the credit note. Credit notes are valid for two years and can be used in any Sivananda Yoga Centre or Ashram in Europe, except Italy. Please note: Credit notes cannot be applied to boutique purchases or Ayurveda massages. In Reith (Austria), the credit note cannot be applied to room and board fees.
Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre Putney
51 Felsham Road, Putney, London SW15 1AZ
Tel. +44 020 8780 0160
Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Retreat House
Bichlach 40, A-6370 Reith bei Kitzbühel, Tyrol, Austria
Contact: Swami Vidyananda, Coordinator of TTC North India
Phone: +43 (0)1 586 3453
(preferably Mon–Sun, 11 AM–4 PM Central European Time)
Booking and payment need to be made at the same centre.